Onion Chutney (Tamil Nadu Style) - Shamala Bhat
- Onions, peeled, cut into quarters 350 Gm
- Refined oil 7 tsp
- Dry red chilli 7-8
- Musterd seeds 1 tsp
- Split black gram 3 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing ). a pinch
- Tamarind (lemon sized)
- Salt to taste
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan ; fry the onions till the colour changes.Remove and Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan, sauteed the dry red chillies, musterd seeds, spilt black gram, and Hing till the mixture turns red in colour.
- Remove and graind all the above with salt and tamarind. If u have patience , grinding the onions tamarind,salt and dry red chillies first and the add the spilt black gram and mustard seeds for a final light grind. This way the chutney will have a crunchiiness